[OM] Hack work (was "Film statistics")

Subject: [OM] Hack work (was "Film statistics")
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:03:32 -0500
From: "John A. Lind" A couple weekends ago I visited the studio of T.C. Steele (now a state
historic site) in the southern part of Indiana.  He was a famous 19th
Century Indiana impressionist.  Just as many lesser professional
photographers must do today, painters often did portraiture to support
themselves
[snip]

This ought to sound familiar.  I know a number of regional professional
photographers who put food on the table doing weddings, portraits and other
studio/commercial work.  Their love, however, is their art photography,
muchg of which is outstanding, but it doesn't pay the bills.  It was my
visit to T.C. Steele's studio that made me realize this has been going on
among artists for centuries.

-- John

I was presented with a stereoscope recently after mentioning to loved ones that I wished I had one. The University of Iowa press recently published a collection of stereoscope images of Iowa from the 19th and early 20th centuries. In addition to portraiture, making these kinds of images kept groceries on photographers' tables. I would have found that a lot more interesting than portraiture -- had it lasted. But both can be like musical etudes -- studies -- through which technique is explored. Nothing wrong with any sort of hack work from this point of view.

Has anyone experimented with making images for a stereoscope?

Joel W.