Re: [OM] Hack work (was "Film statistics")

Subject: Re: [OM] Hack work (was "Film statistics")
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:03:54 -0700
on 7/29/01 8:03 AM, Joel Wilcox at jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was presented with a stereoscope recently after mentioning to loved ones
> that I wished I had one.  The University of Iowa press recently published a
> collection of stereoscope images of Iowa from the 19th and early 20th
> centuries. In addition to portraiture, making these kinds of images kept
> groceries on photographers' tables. I would have found that a lot more
> interesting than portraiture -- had it lasted.  But both can be like musical
> etudes -- studies -- through which technique is explored.  Nothing wrong
> with any sort of hack work from this point of view.
>
> Has anyone experimented with making images for a stereoscope?
>
> Joel W.

I've seen a setup where Olympus XA cameras (XA-2's maybe) are linked
electrically to trigger the shutters simultaneously, then set on a bracket
base-to-base (which gives close to the right spacing between the lenses).
This is supposed to be a popular way to get a more modern stereo setup. The
old way is to get an old stereo 35mm camera from the 50's but they seem to
go for over $200 in good shape. Two OM-1's base to base could probably be
set on a custom bracket to the right spacing (only portrait views, though).
A double cable-release to trigger the picture reasonably simultaneously, set
exposure on both the same, same lenses... this is a Zuikoholic dream, I
*need* two of everything!

I can't figure out how to make the viewer... If you have the viewer, and can
get the two images (with the XA rig or an old stereo camera) I think you
could lay them out in Photoshop and print them onto paper so you can view a
modern 'print' in the old viewers.

It seems to me like someone could come up with a computer program to take
two scanned images and present them as alternate frames to be viewed with
those special LCD-shutter 3D glasses. This would be a modern stereo viewer,
and doing it through a computer it would seem all you would need to do is
scan both images and dump them into the program. But don't look at me to do
it, I can't figure out how to us Panorama Tools after hours (!) of trying...
--

Jim Brokaw