Re: [OM] I Hear America Swingeing (was "Odd question, an end...")

Subject: Re: [OM] I Hear America Swingeing (was "Odd question, an end...")
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:34:21 +0100
Ee make oi larf Joel!  (English West Country for LoL ;-)).

PMFJI but I love it when you guys talk commonwealth.

We whinge, but not with quite the proper inflection, like Marlon
Brando's Fletcher Christian. "Swingeing" is more common than
whingeing by a long shot, if you mean in the slang sense of
"swingeing and swiving." Especially after a long day of swinking and
a couple cold ones and a nice meal with the Mrs. and the kids all
tucked in, although we probably wouldn't use that word about the Mrs.

You're letting me know that there is indeed a rich culture of
vernacular in your part of the world eh? :>)

BTW it's nice having you back, Chris.

Thanks chum... it's good to be back.

BTW, we found a USAAF war grave in the north of Scotland during our
holidays.  It was the crash site of a Liberator next to a loch (the
Fairy Lochs) above Gairloch.  The aircraft had taken off in 1945 to
go home and the boys got lost and found themselves overland instead
of over the sea heading northwest to Greenland (I assume that would
have been the direction of their first leg).  It hit the tip of a
mountain called Slioch near Gairloch on the west coast, losing some
of its fuselage,  and tried to make an emergency landing in the lower
ground.  They failed and the remains of the aircraft lie there still,
partly in the loch, partly at the foot of a hillock; the boys all
died.

The site is bleak and windswept, reachable by a 45 minute walk up the
hills (3 of us, my wife and 16 year-old son with me).  I have a photo
of the memorial plaque next to a cross fashioned from parts of the
structure, some little artificial flowers remaining from the
relatives' last visit.  Another photo is of a propellor blade
protruding from the loch, the spinner still visible below the cold
water's surface.  It was quite a scene.

I'll try and do the grave justice with a little page on my website
later in the week.

Chris