Re: [OM] Bid on a CLA?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bid on a CLA?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:14:42 -0600
At 07:26 PM 7/29/2001 -0500, Mike W. wrote:
>Scott,
>
>Perhaps I missed something (or misunderstood some previous postings).
>Aren't both the alkalines and silver oxide batteries 1.5 volts?  I thought
>that K&S adjusted the meter to work with 1.5 volt batteries period.  I know
>that he does return the camera with alkaline after a CLA, but won't just
>swapping for 357 solve the discharge curve problem?

Mike:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 357-chemistry battery
with the form factor of a PX625 (the original mercury battery taken by the
OM-1[n]).  There *are* alkalines with the same form factor, however.  If all
that the mod is doing is changing the electrical characteristics without
modifying the battery well's physical dimensions, then you're stuck using a
battery with the same form factor as the original PX625 (which basically means
PX625A's, that is, alkaline chemistry).  On the other hand, if the battery
well's physical dimensions are also modified, then you can use a "silver 76"
type battery without problems (and the alkalines that have the form factor of a
PX625 won't fit -- though ones with the form factor of a "silver 76" *will*
fit).

If the physical characteristics are also modified (as they should be, by any
one of several methods), then feel free to use an alkaline instead of a "silver
76," but you'll get metering errors.  But both you and Tom are right -- if the
camera's been returned with a physical mod, just throw the alkaline away and
get a 357 or other "silver 76"-type battery.

I just use the MR-9 adapter, which accepts an SR44 or equivalent into a
PX625-shaped body that contains a surface-mount component which adjusts the
supply voltage.  Slick little system.

Garth