[OM] Heliopan filters

Subject: [OM] Heliopan filters
From: "Michael S. Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:12:30 -0500
I've started ordering Heliopan filters instead of Hoya.  I can't seem to
clean a Hoya MC/SMC filter without marring the coating.  I may have the same
problem with Heliopan, but I'll cross that bridge later (and won't have
invested large sums if they're no better).   Seems like a lot of folks
(filter snobs?) like B+W and Heliopan.  I know that a lot of people
(including a lot of YOU) eschew filters altogether.  For those that don't
and like (or would like to try) Heliopan, I wanted to pass along a website I
came across.  I don't know these folks, have no financial interest, etc.  I
have received 4 filters from them and have a 55mm polarizer coming.  The big
thing for me is that I've found their prices to be significantly better than
other sites. B&H doesn't carry many.  Robin Kanta
(http://www.photofilter.com/) carries some and raves about Heliopan, but his
prices are still higher.  The site I found is
http://members.aol.com/filtershop/.  They're low on 49mm at the moment
(after I got mine).  For an example, a 55mm multi-coated skylight is $31
(vs. $72 at photofilter).  Non-MC is $19 vs $31.50 at photofilter vs $23.95
at B&H.  I still can't figure out how they do it (friends on the docks?),
but I wanted to pass the info along to everyone on the list.

Mike W.

P.S. Off topic?  Gee, I don't know.  I put them on my Zuikos.  :-)