Re: [OM] ADITL

Subject: Re: [OM] ADITL
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 01:30:12 +0000
I'm still here.

If it makes you feel any better I shot one roll of 24 exposure. I might have one if I'm lucky. "Decisive moments" are better shown by example than trying to describe them. It's one of those things that you know when you see it than trying to articulate it. The most compelling ones occur when things are in motion, and you know there is no other outcome. Done recently at a friend's wedding, this one leaves little doubt who will catch the bouquet:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax32.html

Another few not quite as dramatic, and some not as well executed:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om72.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om13.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/gallery/rollei06.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/gallery/rollei07.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/gallery/rollei10.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/gallery/rollei11.html

One can also argue that it doesn't require fast motion, but something that unfolds more slowly or a timed exposure:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax30.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om90.html

The best way I can describe it is when everything converges at one place at one time to "tell the story" in a compelling manner. The trick is knowing when it's about to happen and being ready to shoot it when it does. The exact timing of the shot is what makes it difficult. When it works, it really works.

-- John
(who's desperately hoping he got something decent on his roll of film shot Saturday)