Re: [OM] OT : Off Topic Posts are drowning out content.

Subject: Re: [OM] OT : Off Topic Posts are drowning out content.
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 02:29:56 -0400
A trend I have noticed during my two years or so on the list is that most of the time the same questions are asked over and over again by new list members. The long time members (I am not one of them) have the patience with us newer members as they answer over and over again the questions we ask that have answers that can be found in the archives or esif etc. Now there is even a CD to answer our questions. Soooo, why even maintain this list if it is for only things OM?

For many of us, this list has become a community to share what is happening in our lives. Over time a few members have gone away, but recently it seems quite a few new members have joined. Occasionally we even find something new to discuss about our OMs. By the way, even this topic is an old one. About a year ago, it seems, we decided to talk about almost anything except SUVs, and have added guns and religion over time. We have also changed on the topic of FS items and what to do with auction announcements.

Personally, there is a depth of knowledge and experience on this list I have never experienced anywhere else. I wouldn't even have begun to imagine some of the skills and knowledge that have been made available to us, and at small expense.

So, if you don't want to learn about Tom's Corvette, Lex's petrified wood houses, X's child or grandchild, what camera bag or tripod to use, etc. buy the CD or use the archives and web pages. We can also be more accommodating by making sure the header allows one to filter the OT into a separate file.

Just my $0.02 worth

Gregg

At 12:39 PM 7/28/01, Mike wrote:
On 28 Jul 2001, at 12:11, O.C wrote:

> How many were even remotely relevant? Maybe 20 to 30. How many were
> marked Off Topic? Hardly any. I think it pays to be courteous to the
> other list members. Seriously consider... is my mailing going to be of
> general interest? If not mark it as such with OT.

... and preferably don't even post it to this list at all!  This is
supposed to be a list about OM photographic equipment and its use,
not a list about fish, cars, Fedex and UPS, etc.  Using it as a
general purpose chat room really does detract greatly from its
usefulness.