RE: [OM] Bid on a CLA?

Subject: RE: [OM] Bid on a CLA?
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:30:27 -0700
Michael,

Well, my brain is obviously in "truck" mode and not in "OM" mode. Lemme try
this again, from the top.

You're right, I was wrong, in how I originally stated the "problem". I
think.

First, K&S (and others) adjust the meter for correct function with 1.5V
batteries.

It was my understanding, however, that John Hermanson's CLAs included an
"adapter" to hold the 357 size batteries. So, someone set me straight. Is
this correct? Incorrect? Or have I confused the whole mess from the get-go
and gotten the discussion of the CRIS adapters all jumbled up with the CLA
adjustments?

What I should have said about my OM-1N CLA from K&S should have come out
more like this:

"Although Ken adjusts the meter for use with 1.5V batteries, he provides an
alkaline. Alkalines have crummy discharge characteristics that will make the
metering incorrect over much of the life of the battery. I had *thought*
that there would be some sort of battery adapter included, which would
compensate for the difference in form-factors of the 357 vs. the older
mercury or the replacement alkaline, but I neglected to ask Ken. As I
attempted to make clear, this isn't a real "negative" merely a
miscommunication between Ken and I when we discussed what would be included
in the CLA."

And my apologies to Ken for making statements that weren't crystal clear. I
really do think he did a fine job on both cameras.

Hopefully all this is now clearer. Although since I'm still in dashboard
design mode right now, I'm not gonna guarantee anything. :-) BTW, anyone
that thinks the insides of an OM are complicated should take a look sometime
at the hash that manufacturer's make of automotive wiring. ARRRGH.

---
Scott Gomez