RE: [OM] John Lind's TOPE Pic

Subject: RE: [OM] John Lind's TOPE Pic
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:09:32 +0200
Hi,

Again a late reply, but at least I'm feeding some ON topic stuff into the
list ;)

> Nice rose shot!

Thanks John, I personally didn't think too much of it, though I do like the
wicked perspective the 24mm gave :)

> I found the radical perspective in a macro made using a tube on a wide
angle lens gives a
> 3-D quality to the image not found when using longer lenses.

Many times I have seen C.H. Ling comment about the "3D feeling" given by
certain lenses and equally many times I have found myself wondering what it
was he was exactly referring too. I still think it's difficult to think in
terms of 3D characteristics in something as obviously two dimensional as a
photograph, but I do think I now more or less know what he's referring to. I
think a lot of this is caused by sheer bokeh though, in the case of the
rose, the whole rose is nicely sharp in focus and the complete background
(which of course is already pushed much further back due to the dramatic
wide angle's perspective) is rendered smoothly out of focus. Indeed the
exaggerated perspective, along with the bokeh create an effect which can be
called kinda 3D-ish...

> If you keep doing shots like this, I'll bet you eventually  end up with a
21/2 or an
> 18/3.5 and a 7mm auto-tube in the arsenal.

Hehehe, well, as you'll have read I just missed out on a great opportunity
to get an 18/3.5, but the 21/2 is still ranking nr.1 on "Olaf Greve's 10
most wanted Zuiko's list" :)

> BTW, your 24/2.8 shows some nice bokeh in the background on this one too!

Definitely true. Of course this is rather typical when using extension
tubes, but indeed it is not bad, and I'm starting to become friends quickly
with my 24/2.8; also, about half of my ADITL shots this time were taken with
the 24/2.8, and the other half with the 28/2.

Finally, Oben, did you already see the results of the test you took using
the 21/2 on the 7mm tube?

Cheers,
Olafo