RE: [OM] Re: I'd love to know how low some of these serial numbers go

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: I'd love to know how low some of these serial numbers go
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:37:13 +0200
Hi,

> Now to be really anal, you have to spot the lowest serial number
> anywhere on a lens. ... I win! ;O)
>
> OM-30 brochure Sept 1982 cover:
> ZUIKO  AUTO-ZOOM  35-70mm  1:4  100001  Japan

This seems to be their prototype number, if you would look in the OM System
Lens brochure of 1973 you will find that (almost?) all lenses have this
serial number, most interestingly, the pictured 300/6.3 and the 400/4.5 have
this number too. As these two lenses never really went into production, or
at least did not make their way to the market, it is well possible that
these are the only two instances of such lenses. Anyway, the number 100001
is often seen in pictures of OM lenses, but the 100004 one is much more
interesting, I think, as perhaps that does indicate that actual production
runs start the count after the 100001 number...

Cheers!
Olafo