Re: [OM] 50mm 2.0 macro lens > 50/1.2 > Noctilux > vignetting.

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm 2.0 macro lens > 50/1.2 > Noctilux > vignetting.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:34:06 EDT
owner-olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< If you want to see some VERY NICE F/1.0 shots taken with a Leica Noctilux,
 you should check this link out.  (Personally, I think at ~$2k and 630g, the
 Noctilux is grossly overpriced, but some can stomach it's price and weight.)
 http://www.shinozuka-family.com/f1/ >>

If I could afford Leicas, I would HAVE to have one, whatever. It's an f/1
after all! And what a beautiful name, Noctilux. "Night light"? As in
noctilucent clouds? I was intrigued by the meaning of "Zuiko" too on the
e-sif site.

But that's all out of my league, never mind.

I see the vignetting on those pictures as Ken mentioned. Now a question:

Is vignetting the same as so-called image fall-off attributed to ultra-wide
angles like the 18/3.5? Do they have the same cause? Or are there several
causes? I wondered if the huge taking angles of lenses like the 18mm meant
that when the light is 'bent around' to appear on the image and the image is
stretched out to give straight lines in the corners, does that automatically
cause light intensity fall-off? I suspect that it might.

I assume that vignetting is usually caused by something getting in the way of
the optical path, or part of it.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/