RE: Subj: Re: [OM] T-20 flash prices

Subject: RE: Subj: Re: [OM] T-20 flash prices
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:48:59 +1000
At 12:17 PM Thursday 2/08/2001, you wrote:
Until this year I only used the T32 with my OM equipment. I used to feel as you mentioned that the T20 was really not for the professional user. Now I also have two T20s. I bought the T20 for several different reasons than what you have mentioned. First, the T32 is much heavier, and has caused one of my OM 4Ts to have a loose flash mount.

Never had that problem I must say. Never want that problem either.

 Second, the T32 can be overpowering for p&s type shooting.
 Third, it is much easier to carry a T20 in my pocket for fill flash work.

My earlier posting also said this so your reasons aren't so different :

"... The fact is that the T-20 has a P&S sort of flavour. Definitely not a professional piece of equipment. Less power and coverage angle than a T32. About the only thing I like about the T-20 is its pocketability but wouldn't use mine much. "

Fourth, when I combine the T32 on the BG2 (bounced) with the T20 on the camera I get a very much improved look for use in large rooms.

This would not work with older hot shoe type cameras. I understand what you mean as I have done the same with my OM-4Ti.

And fifth, the T20 are easier to control when used for macro or multiple flash use because of their reduced light output.

For macro, I use the T32 with the invaluable 16 Guide number with manual flash on my OM-3. A perfect exposure on my equipment is achieved every time with:

1. 100 ISO film in the camera
2. T32 mounted on a BG2 set to 16 manual, and pointed at the subject.
3. Aperture on 90/2 set to f22.
4. Mag ratio set to 1:2

With these settings I get perfect exposures every time compared to TTL auto that can be fooled. Its easy to adjust for variations in this basic formula but I have calibrated this as my perfect exposure. Manual flash for macro is certainly a technique I recommend. All you must do is take several test shots with your set up and candidate apertures on slide film and decide the best exposure value.

Oben