[OM] Welcome Newbie (was Liberator Crash site)

Subject: [OM] Welcome Newbie (was Liberator Crash site)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:15:58 +0100
Welcome to the List Doug.  It is a little bit of a madhouse at
present, but it should return to normal and the toys put back in the
cot any day now :>).

Yes accidents must have been difficult to investigate every time.
Just getting all the raids together caused mid-air collisions many
times I believe.

Chris

Hello Group!

I'm new to the OM list and have been a lurker till now, but you've touched a
chord in me with this one. My father was a ball turret gunner and radio
operator with the 307th BG flying B-24's out of Morotai (Dutch East Indies
between Australia and the Phillipines) in 1944 and 1945. I asked him once
about investigations of accidents, etc. He replied "Accidents happened all
the time. It was just a fact of war. The Army didn't have time to
investigate every crash to find out why." Hundreds of men died every day.
They just notified the families that it happened and recovered the bodies if
possible, if not, it was left to the locals to handle. War was awful. When I
see the price that generation paid, I feel very humble and thankful. Let's
all hope the world never sees anything of that magnitude again.

Doug Betts
Hartville, Ohio USA