OT [OM] Let's kill this thread.

Subject: OT [OM] Let's kill this thread.
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:37:14 +1000
At 03:55 PM Thursday 2/08/2001, Chris wrote:
You are dead right there Tom, and it is a great pity that it has gone on for so long. But it is not worth responding to, nor is it worth dooming us to a "Scalesless" List as a consequence :>).

Soooo, why not carry on as before with a new filter (or 2) in your email client? I have not got around to tashing individual authors's posts automatically (nearly though every now and then :<(), but it would save some aggravation at times.

Thanks for promoting goodwill through filtration Chris. But may I say that all the people who are throwing their two cents worth in are not doing anything to actually help stop this thread. I don't think anyone intended this thread to go down a nasty path. I didn't intend to write on this topic again but I'm sure given my experience with this list that most of the involved parties will read the entire post here. I urge them to delete the mail right now if they are intending to post a venomous reply as I'm just pointing out what I believe the facts are. Thats my disclaimer... now for what I hope is my final post on this:

My part in this T20 thread was to just say without any background... that I thought Larry's comment about Tom's T20 price was humorous. I didn't ask everyone else to also think so. I expect no one to agree with me in this or anything else if they so choose.

There's nothing controversial in that. I was unaware of the history. Accept it or not, its the truth. I then went on to say that Tom's:

"Feel free to continue to not purchase anything from me." to Larry

was a little unusual given Larry's (to me quite obviously in jest) comment about throwing his T20 in the bin and replacing it for $45 because Tom thought one of the newcomers was "dreaming" thinking the newcomer could get one for $20-30. I mean others had posted ample evidence that such prices were not just "dreams" or aberrations. That was all I really intended to say. I would say Tom's best defence against this sort of controversy in future is to not comment on pricing issues *perhaps*.

In passing I also made a point that a spade should be called a spade when it comes to people declaring their vested interests.

[This seems to have gotten on people's nerves. And that appears to be because of *Dr Les Clark's* (he privately mailed me pointing this title out in response to my formal address of "Mr Clark" in reply to his comment on my posting) extremely helpful *cough* post, singling this out rather than comprehending the idea of my post or better still just getting on with his "one sentence reply" existence in other threads.]

Let me state publicly that I think that from what I have seen and experienced that I think Tom is an impeccable businessman with a very good ethic in selling things to list members and non members alike. He can conduct business in any way he chooses. I don't dictate his prices. I think that everyone should consider however that Larry has every right to say what he thinks of Tom's prices just as Tom said his opinion that someone or other was "dreaming" about a certain price. Again I think *maybe* staying out of giving opinions on price is the best way for someone who is in the thick of it to defend themselves.

Tom states on his site and I suspect he may be changing this real soon:

"I'm a user of the equipment, not a collector and certainly not a dealer (well, ok, with the number of trades I do, I could be accused of being a dealer)."

and I recall he once posted that he was surprised his database showed over a thousand items sold within a year. In almost everyone's language that number of trades constitutes a business. Call it what you like... being a dealer, being a clearing house, being a broker, a middle man, a facilitator, an enabler... whatever... It makes disposable income? Its a business. I mean I think its fantastic that Tom has such a following on the list. In his favour he has a very good business ethic. He is honest and provides service that shops on the internet would kill for. But comments on prices while having an interest is dangerous ground. Thats just my opinion.

Anyhow, that's for everyone to decide on their own. I'm sorry to other list members that they had to endure this but I'm sure this has probably closed here. I don't think there is much to gain from arguing about it any further.

[Stay out of it *Mr Helpful*... I can't see your posts in any case....]