Re: [OM] "Auto" macro tubes?

Subject: Re: [OM] "Auto" macro tubes?
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 17:18:44 -0500
Are the tubes Olympus?
If so, then one side will say 'Olympus' and the other side will say '7
Japan' or 'Auto 7 Japan' (for the 7mm tube, of course).  Also, the Auto part
refers to automatic aperture coupling (as opposed to manual aperutre
coupling).  Therefore, if you are using the manual tubes, as you determine
the proper exposure by setting the apeture it stops down or opens up while
you change the settings instead of stopping down when the photo is taken.
The disadvantage is that it get tough to focus the lens when lens is stopped
down to f16.  Think of it as trying to focus and take a picture with the
depth-of-field preview button pressed down all the time.  Now try it with
the shallow depth-of-field common to macro work and it can get pretty
frustrating.
If the tubes are not Olympus brand, then they are probably auto.  I don't
think I have ever seen a manual non-Olympus set, although I'm sure they
exist.
As to you OM-2s question: I have no idea.

HTH,
--p.j.