Re: [OM] What I did last weekend

Subject: Re: [OM] What I did last weekend
From: Bernd Möller <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:21:06 +0200
Congrats Mike! Great pictures indeed.

> Here are a few of the shots that I took last Saturday night at the Joan
> Osborne concert.
> I was on assignment for the promoter and these are some of the ones they
> didn't use.

How many have you shot altogether? Was the promoter pleased with the results?
(I guess he was). Did he give you guidelines as to which kind of images he
wanted (because there are so many overall images of the stage and the venue).

> I'm scheduled to cover the B.B.King Blues fest the weekend of the 26th
> of August and can't wait for that show to get here.

Great! I am jealous.

> Anyway, here's the link: http://www.ilikeitout.com/concert.html
>
> This is my first attempt at a website so any and all criticism is
> accepted.
> Feel free to contact me offlist.

Like some members did before me, I answer you on-list. I think it's relevant
here.

Some questions/a bit of critique:

Did you use origin FujiPress 1600 or is it the 800 ASA pushed to 1600? Reason
is, that I have used FujiPress 800 myself quite a lot am quite pleased with the
results, even if pushed to 1600.

Scanning and adjusting the film (in PS) however required some work. In
particular the white balance is difficult. THis can also be seen at some of
your shots. Look at joan1. Skin colour is strange, and also on some other
pictures the black tones are not as black as one could expect. I had the same
problems, but managed to get fair skin tones and deep blacks by carefully
adjusting colours (red, green, blue separately for highlights, midtones and
shadows). I also worked a bit with curves in order to get more saturation.
Steeper curves, I found, let the pictures appear more intense. Did you do the
same? I see most of your pictures have this saturated black, especially the
wide angle shots.

I am missing some close-ups. Full frame shots of musicians are highly
appreciated. Was it because you could not get closer? The 80-200 range of your
Tamron would have allowed for that. And your arrangement with the promotor
would have given you access to the stage or the front of it.

I am still waiting to get the time to review my own homepage with lots of
concert images. I'm sending the URL as soon as possible.

Best regards and best of luck with the BB King concert.

Bernd Möller