RE: [OM] Oh NO! rewinding / reloading in register.

Subject: RE: [OM] Oh NO! rewinding / reloading in register.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 08:15:56 EDT
Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:
<< but what I don't understand is how
 you ensure that the positioning of frames doesn't change?
   I understand the way to take the film out and put it back in again -- but
 say I've used 10 frames the first time, how do I make sure that the spacing
 between frame 10 and 11 is the same as that between 9 and 10? If it's not
 the same, won't this mess up the printing and end up with frames 11+ being
 printed as half of frame 11 and half of frame 12? >>

I find that I always load the camera by sticking the film leader in so the
take-up spool engages with the second sprocket hole in the bottom of the film
leader.

I initially wind on immediately before doing this, which seems to hold the
take-up mechanism steady. I then put the film leader in, fire the shutter on
manual (to avoid a long exposure on Auto) and then wind the film to load it,
then close the back if all looks OK.

I would imagine that this should do as much as possible to ensure that the
whole thing is reproducible if you need to reload the film later, after
parially exposing it and removing it for some reason.

I have done this several times, and have always forgotten which film it was,
and have never yet had a film come back with frames printed in the wrong
place. I am very disorganised. I usually forget which frame I need to go to
when reloading the film - I usually write it in felt tip on the film canister
just in case.

Oh and when rewinding a partially exposed film, the number of turns to rewind
it is usually or always fewer than the number of frames you have used! So you
need to do it slowly. You can usually feel or hear a bit if a click as the
film leader comes free from the take-up spool. That is when to stop
rewinding, and then you should have the film leader still outside of the film
canister. :-)

[If you carrry on beyond that point, there is less resistance (as somone
already pointed out) - it is easier to rewind and then you know you will be
in trouble if you don't stop right away!]

Happy rewinding/reloading!

Dave Bellamy.