Re: [OM] Exciting Times on the Internet

Subject: Re: [OM] Exciting Times on the Internet
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:01:01 +0000
At 04:29 8/5/01, Gregg Iverson wrote:
Can you find a place to watch that is very quiet? I've heard that on a hot day you can hear the corn grow.

Gregg

Indeed you can. Experienced it just this past week going out the photograph the B-17 and B-24 landing. Positioned myself between approach lights on a public road that runs along the north edge of the airport. The airport, including runways, is about a square mile at most, completely surrounded by corn fields, and hardly any planes depart or arrive mid-afternoon on a weekday. Parked on the north side if the street next to one. While getting the gear out of my car, I could "hear the corn growing;" seriously; no joke; not kidding. Initially did a double-take thinking someone else was out there and then recognized what the sound was. Been some time since I had been somewhere quiet enough to hear it. Alas, this is one of the sensory stimuli the webcam cannot hope to capture.

-- John