Re: [OM] Exciting Times on the Internet. Totally OT.

Subject: Re: [OM] Exciting Times on the Internet. Totally OT.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 13:21:29 +0000
At 16:27 8/5/01, Dave Bellamy wrote:
John/Gregg,
Does that mean that you can go there and suffer from "Corn Deafness"?

Depends on how you define "deafness." I live inside city limits. In spite of its small size, it has some background noise attributable to any city. Don't know what your experience is with being somewhere that is truly quiet; completely absent of our mechanized lives. Our auditory sense also serves as a warning system for danger. Even low background noise produces a level of alertness we cannot suppress. IMO we are hard-wired that way.

In the venues that are absent of this, and I need not travel far to reach them, if you are very still, you will hear things that cannot be heard in most of our everyday lives. There is a phase in German about listening to the flowers grow. IIRC, it is related to the tranquility of these locations that finally allows the warning system to fully rest and the mind can focus completely on deep introspection. At one step further, if it is quiet enough, such as in a deep cavern, there is a complete and utter absence of auitory stimulation, and that in itself becomes deafening.

The question I've had, and it's one I've never been able to solve, is how to visually convey this to others with a photograph if they have never experienced it? A photograph relies on viewer life experiences to evoke response from the other senses and help convey the message fully.

-- John