[OM] "Precious" Equipment

Subject: [OM] "Precious" Equipment
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:08:27 +1000
snip

 It is immensly
 > freeing to finally nick something that was mint.  The sense of anxiety
 lifts and you can start using it with full abandon.

this is so true !

I have a number of bodies which are all in pristine condition and they hardly ever get used. I feel like I must "save" them (for what exactly I don't know....), whereas I have a beat-up dog ugly OM-4Ti that I got from a pro sports photog (I wanted his MD2), and a beat-up even uglier Om-2n (came with a lens I bought) that looks like it has fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.....

Even though they are so beat-up, they both work great and the funny thing is, that these are my two most used bodies, probably because I can relax when I'm using them and not worry about a bump or a scratch here or there (I'm still careful, just not paranoid like I am with a LN Cond OM-1n).

Mind you, some of the bodies I now wrap in cotton wool are bodies that i have had for 20 years (OM-1n chrome bought S/H in '81) and 14 yrs (OM-4Ti bought new in '87 or thereabouts) Each had countless rolls of film go through them before I started to consider them as needing to be "saved" and "protected" and yet they would still both be described as Ex++ condition.

Which raises the question - what the heck do pro photogs do to their cameras that get them into such a terrible state? Roll them down stairs? Twenty minutes a day in a cement mixer with some rocks? You've just gotta wonder......

peter