Re: [OM] Various camera and lens problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Various camera and lens problems
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 23:52:42 -0500
Roger Wesson wrote:

> It goes wrong at the worst moments, doesn't it?  Like during one of the
> most fabulous sunsets I've ever seen...
>
> Two problems - one is that my OM-1n sometimes doesn't advance film
> properly.  Every 5 or 10 rolls, after about 20 or 25 shots, it'll stop
> pulling the film around.  As it happens mid-roll, surely it can't be the
> way I'm loading the film?  Any thoughts, anyone?

Overlapping frames on an OM-body is almost always due to improper film

Do NOT put the film leader THROUGH the take-up spool.  As shown in the
instruction manual, put the leader INTO but not THROUGH the spool.  If
the leader protrudes through the spool, the spool will get too big, too
soon, and press back on the pressure plate, allowing the film to slip
over a sprocket tooth -- ergo, overlap.  This may begin as early as 12
frames, seldom sooner, but often as late as 20 or so frames into a roll.

The only other reasonable causes are (1) gummy rewind release not
returning to vertical fully, or (2) worn out sprocket (it has teeth
inside to engage a "T").  Either of these can be reproduced without film
-- check by dragging on the sprocket with your finger as you wind the
camera.  If the sprocket skips, you'll feel it.

> And the other problem is that my cheapo independent 135mm lens (there's a
> lesson in there somewhere...) has fallen apart - the focussing ring no
> longer makes anything move.  Does that sound like a terminal problem or
> might it be quite easy to make some kind of repair?

Few off-brand lenses are worth the investment for repair -- zooms are
too much trouble and fixed lenses are too cheap to begin with.