[OM] [OT] 'Diaphragm'

Subject: [OM] [OT] 'Diaphragm'
From: drchrisbarrett <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 22:57:32 +0100
Olafo wrote:

"The case is that Erwin encountered some funny meanings of the word
"diaphragm". Much rather than its main meaning being indicated as a
camera's
diaphragm (i.e. aperture), most dictionaries primarily mentioned the
meaning
to be a contraceptive device."

Well Folks, your in luck (or you may think, out of luck by the time
you've read this).

It just happened that I was reading the digest after I'd been consulting
my copy of Dorland's Medical Dictionary. So I had it ready to hand.

It defines 'diaphragm' as follows (precis'd and a little re-arranged):

>From the greek diaphragmata, a partition, wall, or barrier.

1) The musculomembranous partition separating the abdominal and thoracic
cavities, and serving as a major inspiratory muscle. Sometimes called
the diaphragma, midriff or diaphragmatic muscle.

2) Any separating membrane or structure.

3) A disc with one or more openings in it, or with an adjustable
opening, mounted in relation to a lens or optical source by which part
of the radiation may be excluded from the area.

4) A contraceptive device of soft plastic or rubber fitted into the
cervix uteri prior to intercourse to prevent the entrance of
spermatozoa.

OM content: In Oxford on company business today. When I first lived
there there where four camera shops. Now there's just Morris Photo, and
the ubiquitous Jessop's.

Very little OM equipment. There was a boxed 50mm f/1.8 in Jessop's (no
price), and nothing in Morris. my impression is that here in the UK, the
OM equipment in shops is drying up rapidly.

Chris Barrett
Malvern