RE: [OM] [OT] Email Address Harvest Was: [OT] 'Diaphragm'

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Email Address Harvest Was: [OT] 'Diaphragm'
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:13:09 +0200
Hi,

> Oben has stated several times recently that spammers harvest addresses
from
> the body of Emails.  I've never seen this mentioned anywhere else and
haven't been able
> to verify it by searching the Web; I'm curious if anyone else has found
this to be true.

There's many ways to go about this, it is tremendously easy to write a
program that does indeed scan message bodies/headers and webpages for e-mail
addresses (typically a regular expression involving a pattern which contains
at least an @ character will be used).

Even if the messages on this list don't get scanned directly by spammers,
they can still easily parse the archives and extract the e-mail addresses.
Another trick: send the request wh* *lmpus to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
you'll handily be sent a list of all the e-mail addresses of the people that
are subscribed -be they lurkers or active members-.

Finally, whenever I receive a message via the list, I can readily see who
sent it. The sender is indicated as the Olympus list address, but between
parentheses the name of the sender is shown, double clicking it reveals
their e-mail address, so I don't quite understand the fuzz about quoting
someone's e-mail address in a message: as soon as you send a message to the
list, your address can be found.

Cheers!
Olafo