RE: [OM] "Precious" Equipment

Subject: RE: [OM] "Precious" Equipment
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:22:36 -0600
> For those of you who get the National Geographic channel on cable, there
is
> a program featuring their photographers.  When you see the places they go
> to get the photos, you stop thinking of their job as glamorous, and start
> pitying the techs who have to keep their gear working.

 I know a guy who goes caving, and was on a trip down with some Nat.Geog
photographers. Some interesting points from that:

 When they take a shot of a cave, they'll set up a couple of _dozen_ flash
units spread throughout the cave, and then shoot a couple of rolls of film;
none of your wimpy bracket-by-1/3-stop here, they basically go through the
entire range of exposure.

 The worst job anyone has is the guy who has to spend a month trekking back
and forth through the jungle -- start at base, pick up flash supplies
(apparently they use flash _cubes_ sometimes, batteries, etc), trek to cave
mouth, drop off fresh stuff, pick up old stuff.. trek back to base, collect
new supplies, repeat.

 Oh, and all the guys who were there for the caving had to sign some sort of
big legal disclaimer that they weren't going to take any photos -- the
Nat.Geog guy spends so much time setting up the lights that he really
doesn't want to have anyone else piggybacking and getting their own photos..

 -- dan