Re: [OM] OM Filters...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Filters...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:34:08 -0700
From: Dirk Wright

Generally, Heliopan and B+W are considered the best.

Except that Gary R. tested some B+W's and found some defective samples. Hoyas performed a little more consistently, so I've stuck with Hoya as a result.

Maybe Gary will comment, but what I gleaned from his posts about filters is that buying them is a pig in a poke.

On the other hand, when I tested all my UV filters on film, I couldn't see a difference with the amount of magnification I typically use to examine slides or even the difference between using a filter or not using one. These included Vivitar SMC(?), Oly's, B+W, Tiffens, and no-names.

My compromise with confusion is just to buy Hoyas and not use them more than necessary.

Joel W.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the point was that even a very expensive filter, like a B&W degrades the image, not that the filter was defective.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California