Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 21:52:16 -0500
>From Tom:
>What about mail?  Don't you get a weekly mail service or something like
>that?
You would think that would be the case, but it's not so.  The only flights
to the island will be to bring the donor guests.  I know there will be a
flight 10 days after I get there, so that is definitely an option.  In fact,
it has been suggested to me as an option from the TNC staff.  FYI, the
president of TNC will be on that flight.

>2) Break your kit up into three one-month kits.  Have someone send you
>pieces throughout the 3 months and ship home the pieces that have 'done
>their duty'. For example, month two is macro month, month three is long
lens
>month.
This is why I love the list!  What I might try to do is take a basic kit on
the first flight down, 4T, 90/2, 35-70/3.5-4.5, 24/2.8.  On the next flight,
I'll have them bring down my MiniTrekker w/ 300/4.5 or 180/2.8 with
teleconverters, extra body and MD, 18/3.5 and maybe the 80/4 with variable
auto tube, focusing rail and stage, and tripod.
Anything I don't need/use, I can send back to Hawaii when that first group
leaves or when the next group leaves.  Unfortunately, there are no regular
flight schedules.  The one group that is coming could be the only one or the
first of five or six over the next twelve weeks.

>From Joel:
>However, I wouldn't mess with
>split/grad ND filters unless you'll have time to get comfortable with them
>before you go.
Good idea!  I already have too much to do before I leave for this trip.
Mastering a new piece of equipment or new technique is something I don't
have time to do.

Here is another question/comment:
No one suggested the 500/8 mirror.  Are the donuts too much for everyone to
handle?