Re: [OM] Best way to send money to the USA?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to send money to the USA?
From: "Michael Humberston" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 04:48:32 +0100
On 7 Aug 2001, at 22:20, DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Suppose that a hypothetical Brit wants to send some money to a
> hypothetical American to pay for some hypothetical Olympus Zuiko lens
> item. What's the best way to do it?
>
> International Money Orders seem to have disappeared in the UK. What is
> going on?

Should still be available but is expensive and only provides a little
more security than cash by being more traceable should it go amiss.
Some banks can't be bothered to provide them though.  I am told by my
bank that the Post Office also do them at a lower cost.

Experience in my family of various relatives trying to send each
other cash across the Atlantic is that it stands a very high
probability of disappearing, regardless of whether it is wrapped in
plain or carbon paper. Indeed, carbon paper probably makes it *more*
obvious.

The various Internet services seem to be expensive for UK users.

A person who works in the money transfer business recently
recommended Western Union to me although I haven't yet used them.
Their phone number is 0800 833833 but I was given to understand that
they also have agencies that will take cash over the counter.

Mike