Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take..my 0.02...

Subject: Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take..my 0.02...
From: Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 05:41:27 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

I would think about what you are going to take pics
of, body wise:-

OM1 mechanical shutter, but if meter fails, you have
to take lightmeter anyway, so why not take OM4T?

You may say "well the OM1 has a completely mechanical
shutter, unlike OM4T which is limited to 60th My
answer would be:- you are limited to 60th-1000th,
anything more and you need a tripod (which presumably
you are not taking) and you really think you will take
shots of things moving quick at 500th-1000th second?
Using a lightmeter to check exposure?? I doubt it, by
the time you meter and check settings the shot will be
gone.

So I would recommend OM4T with lightmeter and extra
357's. I think you'll find the spotmetering
invaluable, its one reason I'm selling my OM1 and
buying a OM2S/OM4/OM4T(i) as a second body.

Lens wise, its not such an easy choice, I would
personally go for fast primes, a wide (24-28mm) a mid
(50mm F1.4 or 1.2) and a tele (135mm F2.8?) and a
multiplier (1.4 or 2). Light, easy to carry, and quick
for low light situations, maybe throw in a 35-70
F3.5-4.5 for general stuff.
Have you considered buying one of those really little
pocket tripods? They are not that good, but you can
use them against trees etc, and for shots where you
want to be in the picture, they are real cheap to ($15
or so on Eb*y) its better than having no tripod at
all, and they really take no space or weight as such.

Film wise, it depends on what kind of shooter you are,
and how many "keepers" you get from each roll, I have
been in the US for 3 months from the UK, and I have
used about 10 rolls of film. Its kind of up to you,
you have to think about how much you use.

My 0.02 dollars worth....hope it was some use...

Chris ;-)