Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 04:47:41 EDT
More Palmyra ham radio info., Paul:

Uncle says a flight of hams crashed on Palmyra, killing all.  Aircraft
remains has been dragged back into the bush now, they report.

He also says there are several relics of WWII about the place, but suppose
you already knew that.  I had fun finding that kind of stuff up on Adak
Island in the Aleutians.  Piles of artillery brass (a lot of money there in
salvage, but it's so remote and rugged).  Old military vehicle carcasses.
Something like 36 aircrashes on Adak, about one per mile of its north/south
length.  Discoveries like that make history so much more real and interesting
than the boring history teacher I had in h.s.

How much film?  For me, I think I would "budget" about a roll (36 slides) a
week, 4 rolls/mo..  And then double it.  I would spend more time in the water
snorkeling and diving than anything else, if possible, but that's me.
Jacques-Yves Cousteau and MIke Nelson (Lloyd Bridges' ex-Navy frogman
character in his tv series "Seahunt") were two of my heroes growing up.  I
was scuba diving in the neighbor's swimming pool at the age of 12 with a tank
and regulator I got mail order from U.S. Divers in NY.  Took diving lessons
from a vet who parachuted into Normandy on D-Day.

I'm REALLY excited for you!  Snorkeling, diving, photography, ham radio,
coral reefs, lagoons, sharks, land crabs.  One of WWII's little farflung
outposts.  What a grand adventure!

Rich