Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:07:24 +0200
At 09:31 07.08.01 -0700, Mike wrote:
pj, Sounds like a great  opportunity! Now as far as the kit goes. While
the others' recommendations are excellent I don't think that the full
impact of the 40lb limit has been realized.

OK, I'll chime in on this one: 40lbs is plenty, assuming you can wash your clothes as needed. I went to see the solar eclipse in Zambia this summer, and I carried about 23kg in total (50lbs) and that included:

* LowePro Supertrekker AW, about 5kg in itself
* Zenitar 16mm fisheye
* Zuiko 21/2
* Ricoh GR1 (28mm)
* Zuiko 50/3.5
* Zuiko 85/2.0
* Zuiko 180/2.8
* Zuiko 300/4.5
* 1.4xA + 2.0xA
* OM-1, OM-2sp, OM-4T
* T32 + F280
* 2 winders
* Slik monopod
* Berlebach tripod with Foba Mini Superball head, about 3.5kg in total
* 66 rolls of film
* Spare batteries of all kinds

Of course I added a toothbrush and some underwear, but that's about it. I only carried one pair of long pants, and wore them on the plane. My point is that you don't need to take an entire wardrobe for each day, you'll probably be the best dressed man around anyway. We're blessed with the lightest professional SLR system in the world, take advantage of it!

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn