Re: [OM] Not so much a "What to take" but more a "how to take it"

Subject: Re: [OM] Not so much a "What to take" but more a "how to take it"
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:08:39 +0200 (CEST)
Sam,

I've been flying intensively, and have thus far had no problems carrying
excessive hand-luggage. I frequently get in the cabin with a trolley, some
times two, a purse and a laptop bag. I always do that when I fly with any
airline that is notorically known for loosing and/or damaging the checked
in luggage, or when flying to a destination where it takes forever to get
the checked in luggage (London Heathrow comes to mind here...).

I have *never* had anyone question it, even with two trolleys, in the
flight. I have once had the check-in lady complain. My reply was "Sure,
which suitcase will you give a written warranty that you do not
damage/loose: the one with $8000 worth of photo gear or the one with $8000
worth of computer gear?" - and made her just accept my excessive carry-on.

My impression is, that most airline staff is reasonable, and if presented
with something that looks reasonably compact and in regular size and
shape, they are most helpfull. I've overheard more complaints about those
who bring 4-5 bags (duty-free), a large coat, a sports bag and other such
"irregular" items.

Of course, frequent flyer status helps immensely, but pack tight in a
"square" bag and accept if the flight-attendant offer to store it in a
(locked) cupboard helps. Also, be one of the first to board, such that you
do not have to evict other passengers luggage.

If they give you any problems, just choose another airline for your next
flights.

And if you fly United Airlines, be vary that they're likely to cause
damage to you, rather than your luggage (yes, happened to me...)

--thomas

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Sam Shiell wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm off to the South of France  (not the expensive area unfortunately) in a
> couple of weeks and am thinking about what kit to take.
>
> The airline (like most) have a 5-Kilo limit on hand luggage and charge extra
> if you go above that. The kit that I'm planning to take (including the
> backpack)  weigh getting on for 9 kilos, so the question is, what can safely
> be put in the hold luggage.
>
> Obviously body and films stay with me, and the mini-tripod, bounce grip (if
> I decide to take it... not decided yet) and filters can go in the luggage,
> but what about lenses and flash?
>
> What do you guys do ?
>
> Sam
>
> This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the named
> addressee only. It may contain information that is confidential, legally
> privileged and protected by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee
> (or authorised to receive on behalf of the addressee) you may not copy, use
> or disclose its contents to anyone else. If you received this e-mail in
> error please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your
> system. We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses although
> we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which may be
> transferred by way of this e-mail.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering