Re: [OM] Identify Strange Light Leak?

Subject: Re: [OM] Identify Strange Light Leak?
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:10:10 -0500
Mike,
I would be speculating. I have had one episode with a light leak problem that I believe can be attributed to a missing MD cap.

Ok, I'll speculate. It's worse on some cameras? The ambient light and/or direction of light affects it? It is related to specific shutter speeds (e.g., light is leaking into the chamber, the mirror moves and bounces the light off the prism enough to fog a patch of the film as the shutter moves along the FP)?

I didn't figure out that my problem was a missing MD cap because of smarts. I read about it, tallied it with my experience, and then never shot my camera without it again and have not had a problem since. So I really keep track of my MD caps.

Joel W.

From: "Mike Williamson" Joel,

What more is there to this story? It seems like every camera on eBay is missing
the motor drive cover.  Some of my cameras have the cap and some don't, but
I've NEVER had any light leak problems. If JUST missing that cap was the answer, the WORLD would be having problems (and Oben would make a killing with his 63
or whatever OM-1 caps).  What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Mike W.