Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 16:10:41 +0100
Sounds like an awesome trip - you must be well chuffed to be going.
I'll throw in my advice as well for what it's worth.  Myself, I think
you can have every situation covered with the following:

OM-1 (or two)
28mm
50mm (macro if you have it)
135mm
500mm mirror lens
2x teleconverter

This is basically the kit I took on my trip to Zambia & Malawi and in
fact I almost exclusively used the 28mm.  But the rest came in very
useful and I have some shots from them that I would hate not to have
got.  The whole lot of that weighs not very much at all, so you should
be able to carry enough film to last 12 weeks.  Someone else said it and
I agree - 5 rolls a week is a good number.  I'm sure you'll want to take
a tripod as well.

And one thing which I don't think anyone else mentioned - silica gel,
lots of it!  Keep a little sachet in with each camera and lens and the
dampness shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I travelled for 7 weeks in
Central America during the height of the rainy season with a few bags of
silica gel and none of my cameras or lenses suffered any kind of
problem.

Good luck with the planning, packing and trip itself!
Roger