Re: [OM] Not so much a "What to take" but more a "how to take it"

Subject: Re: [OM] Not so much a "What to take" but more a "how to take it"
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:56:31 -0700
Hi all

I'm off to the South of France  (not the expensive area unfortunately) in a
couple of weeks and am thinking about what kit to take.

The airline (like most) have a 5-Kilo limit on hand luggage and charge extra
if you go above that. The kit that I'm planning to take (including the
backpack)  weigh getting on for 9 kilos, so the question is, what can safely
be put in the hold luggage.

Obviously body and films stay with me, and the mini-tripod, bounce grip (if
I decide to take it... not decided yet) and filters can go in the luggage,
but what about lenses and flash?

What do you guys do ?

Sam

Usually they do not weigh your carry on luggage, but a larger than the regulation 45 inch carry-on would probably set off red flags that might cause them to do so. So might obvious displays of heavy items like fully loaded photo vests, logic being if you are doing that your bags must be really heavy. A good casual/backpacker type jacket with lots of pockets is great to hold your heavier items and reduce the weight of the carry-on. I usually try to only carry on one bag because the airline can arbitrarily decide that all second bags must be checked due to space requirements. It has happened to me a couple of times. International flights are usually stricter than domestic flights.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California