Re: [OM] What is a fair price for a used Centurion?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is a fair price for a used Centurion?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:53:53 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: <rdk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 9:38 AM

> Hej Per

Hej Roger.

> That sounds like a pretty good price to me. We paid 1600 DKK (2000 SKR) for
> our
> non-S version, which was LNIB with twelve months guarantee. The S gives
> mid-roll
> change, but nothing else extra. They seem to have disappeared from the new
> market now in Denmark.

Yes, it's the same here in Sweden. Apparently you can't even get the silver
coloured S
version new any longer. I think the original black Centurion has been
discontinued, but I
don't think the S version has been discontinued in the rest of the world.
Pretty strange
that you cannot buy the Centurion /-S which was released only some three or
four years
ago, but on the other hand you can still buy the iS-3(000) which was released
back in
1992?? (guess though it would have been worse if it had been the other way
around   ;-))

> My wife uses ours, and takes great pictures. For a
> day-to-day camera, it has many advantages, especially very light weight for an
> SLR, and date/time stamping on the back of all pictures. It makes a great
> backpacking camera. A real minus is the increased cost of film processing. a
> 40-exposure film costs (full-price) 140 DKK from Kodak (the best APS
> processors
> in DK), and is not often discounted.

Is it that expensive? My impression was otherwise that APS processing prices
was coming
down. You can actually get a 40-exposure film processed for 69 SKR here now,
but that's
not at Kodak of course. Is it worth the extra money to get it done by Kodak do
you think?

> 35mm processing costs 50-80 kr, with 50 kr
> being adequate normally. But the APS prints are presented very nicely.

Could you please elaborate a little on this? AFAIK the Centurion has a rather
basic
support for the various APS features.

> If I was offered an extra Centurion for 800 DKK (ca. 1000 SEK), I would buy
> it.

> mvh / regards
> Roger Key

Thanks for your advice Roger. I have been thinking of a Centurion (preferrably
the "S")
for my mother, since I happened to sell her Oly AFL-T compact last year.  :-).
Now she's
"borrowing" my M*n*lt* AF Tele Super. I reckon she can't get a better camera
than a used
Centurion at these prices (~1000-1200 SEK). My only concern is if it still
might be too
large and heavy for her. Of course, if she could manage the bricklike AFL-T all
those
years it shouldn't be too great a problem...  ;-)

Btw Roger, there are a few people who's posts I always read no matter what, and
you're
definitely among them.

Med vänlig hälsning,

Per Nordenberg