[OM] Re: Max 800

Subject: [OM] Re: Max 800
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:53:12 -0500
I have heard varying reports about Max 800, just as we are hearing here.
I've used quite a bit of it, with generally good results. I use it in
situations where light is low, but I don't want to use flash, situations
where I would have used 400 speed film before. I am continually amazed at
the recent improvements in color negative films, something that I feel is
the result of the shortcomings of the APS system. I think this stuff is at
the same point where 400 speed was only a few years ago.

That said, I have had one or two rolls come out a bit grainy, and
coincidentally, they were rolls processed at a one hour lab. Of course, they
were also a couple of rolls that were a bit underexposed. There's nothing
like underexposure to "enhance" grain in color neg films. I did take a half
dozen rolls to Buenos Aires a bit over a year ago, and was absolutely blow
away by the results. There was no attempt to refrigerate this film, although
it was not subjected to excessive heat, and it was not x-rayed, but it was
processed by a highly reputable pro lab. I also understand that this was
from the first runs of the film, and that various improvements have been
made since. There is also an improved 800 film from Fuji.

I would suggest that the first place to check is underexposure. Most all
color neg films seem to perform better with a bit of overexposure. The
second is the lab.

Another thing to think about is our ever decreasing tolerance for grain.
There was a time, not so long ago, when grain was an accepted part of
photography. It was used in creative ways, and a photographer would often
use certain films or developers to give more or less grain to suit a
circumstance. Now, as scientists improve film almost daily, even the
slightest bit of visible grain is a crisis. What is one person's great huge
clumps of grain might well be another's fine, tight patterns.

Now, if you want GRAIN, try the now replaced Fuji super HG 1600!

Bill Pearce