RE: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: RE: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: "Joe Scheese" <scheesjl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:06:47 -0400
P.J.,
   I'm am curious if you were planning to do any astrophotography?  You will
probably be in one of the least light polluted areas in the world.  What
else is there to do at night?  At a minimum you might want to borrow a pair
of binoculars from the bird watchers and do some observing.  If you can
squeeze a 3.5" floppy in there somewhere, you might want to download the
shareware program from www.cybersky.com.  It will help you with what you are
looking at and pass the time in the evenings.

I would add a cable release and if you can not take a tripod, try and get a
clamping mount.  Add a roll of Fuji Push800 and you can get some interesting
pictures.  Take your widest lens, set the aperture to a mid opening  and set
the camera on something solid facing north and the bottom of the frame on
the horizon.  Use the hat trick, cover the lens, and lock the shutter open
and remove the hat.  Wait some time.  Cover the lens, and close the shutter.
I would try a few shots starting at 30 minutes and go up from there.  With
Polaris just 5 degrees above the horizon, you will end up with very dramatic
star circles.

You can do a lot without a tracking mount.  If you would like other ideas,
contact me off list.

Enjoy the trip,

Joe