[OM] Graduation Photos, new lens test

Subject: [OM] Graduation Photos, new lens test
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:57:08 -0700 (PDT)
Well, tonight I did another portrait session, but this time I
used the 135/3.5 extensively.  What a sweet little lens.  This
was an outdoor shoot in a community that just built a
development that looks just like it was lifted out of Amsterdam
(except for the posts, of course).  Canal, bridges, fences,
stairs, buildings, etc.  Way cool.  An Iowa version of
Amsterdam.

Anyway, the sun was low and warm.  I had shots where the girl
was backlit by the sun, yet it was also reflecting in windows
for frontal lighting.  I did use quite a bit of fill flash.

To control backgrounds I used the 200/4 a lot and the 135/3.5
more than I expected.  The 100/2.8 was still the finest lens,
but used it mostly for full length shots.

I'm excited about this shoot.  The girl was very pretty (model
material), the clothing, makeup, hair and location were perfect
and my zuikos were getting a serious workout.  I can see
pictures for the portfolio out of this shoot.  I shoot a
moderate amount of portraits, but some work out better than
others.

Unlike the full-time pros, I was able to experiment a little and
we exploited the new development.  (Also, unlike the local pros,
we were able to use it, which I suspect they won't because of
permits, crowds, etc.)

We found a stairway in the surrounding neighborhood that also
worked very well.  Lighting was wonderful.

The 135/3.5 performed well.  I don't know if I'll be keeping
this excellent one, but the 135mm saved the day as it was THE
lens for several shots.  I was suprised at how much I ended up
using the 200/4.  I NEVER shoot as many portraits with the 200mm
as I did tonight, but it was necessary for control of the
backgrounds.

I photographed with every single lens I have!  How often do you
get to use EVERY piece of equipment in your bag?

No, I didn't fuss with lens caps.

Ken (Silvernose) N.