[OM] [OT] Tokina ATX Zoom

Subject: [OM] [OT] Tokina ATX Zoom
From: leshuth <leshuth@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:01:50 +0930
Hi,  This is the second time I have surfaced. The first was when I had
just bought an OM1n about six months ago. I needed help with old back
cover seals that time. I have since obtained a 35-105 and 50 f3.5 both
of which I am very happy with. I use the camera to take photos of plants
during bush walking outings here in tropical Darwin Australia. I walk
with a club and use the photos for identification of the plants. We
don't have time to stop and look while walking so I quickly take photos
(almost on the move).
I have just purchased a Tokina 50-250 f4-5.6 AT-X one touch zoom lens in
very good condition. It does normal focus down to 1.8 metres then with
the focusing/zoom ring in the retracted (shortest) postion(50mm) it is
turned a bit extra to the macro section and it then gives macro
magnification from 1:27 up to 1:1.4 by extending the zoom in this macro
position. At the 1:1.4 position the object is about 2" from the lens.
While in this macro position the focusing ring can not be turned and the
only way of focusing is to move the whole camera towards or away from
the object. This is not a problem for hand held photography as the
amount of movement is very little but would not work on a tripod. The
lens takes very good photos although I haven't enlarged any yet.
What I would like to know is if the macro adjustment normal. I have not
been able to find any information anywhere on this lens. The lack of
focusing adjustment when in the macro position seems a bit odd but the
lens does not appear to be damaged and is in perfect cosmetic condition
condition and has no external marks at all. Has anyone had any
experience with this lens or any clues on where I might be able to find
some information.
I have gained a lot lurking on this list and even the occasional war is
quite entertaining.
TIA
Les Huth