[OM] Paying in dollars

Subject: [OM] Paying in dollars
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:46:56 +0100
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dave
American Express dollar travellers cheques are fairly readily available in the UK and seem an obvious way to go if you can get ones for an amount equal to the sum to be paid. Certainly I paid Tom Scales for a lens with such a travellers cheque and some small dollar notes - although it was not quite the process you envisage since I posted them in America during a holiday visit and Tom had posted the lens to a hotel. My recollection is that the UK Post Office is offering foreign currency without commission although they did not provide the AMEX travellers cheques in exactly the denominations which I requested - do not know if there is a lower limit on the amount of currency they will handle. Also, beware of the charge made if you use a debit or credit card to pay the UK post office for the foreign currency. I think it would be worth investigating further, particularly as surplus dollar cheques can be used in other countries while Tom might be prepared to comment on whether it was convenient for him.
Brian

Brian and Vivienne Gray
bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx