Re: [OM] Film, heat and refrigeration - semi OT and slightly hijacked

Subject: Re: [OM] Film, heat and refrigeration - semi OT and slightly hijacked
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:02:04 +0100
Hi Chris,

Thanks!  Glad you liked the shot.  This particular shot was taken with my
OM-1, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 at full aperture, Fuji Super HG 1600 film, and about
a 25s exposure.  It was taken under the awesomely pitch black skies in the
Red Centre of Australia, from where you can see the fabulously bright bits
of the milky way, which those of us living above about 35N sadly never see.

Generally for successful star shots, you want fast film (800 or above),
clear and dark skies, and no moon about (otherwise it'll just look like
daytime).  Use your lens wide open, but remember the difference with normal
photography is that it's absolute aperture you want, so a 50mm at f/2.8
(aperture = 17.85mm) will capture more stars than a 28mm at f/2 (aperture =
14mm).  You folks who've splashed out on your 50mm f/1.2s should be able to
do great star shots.  Exposures should be no longer than 25s for a 50mm
lens - inversely proportional for other focal lengths.  Tripod and cable
release are essential to avoid camera shake.

Or you might want to do star trails, for which the non-electronic OMs are
absolutely perfect.  Choose a dark moonless night, point anywhere in the
sky, use film slower than 400ASA and leave the shutter open for an hour or
two.  If you try this, try not to let anyone walk in front of your camera
with a torch...

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/ohp/2001/photos/torch.jpg

Hope that helps - tell us about any results you get.  I've got some
astrophotos coming back soon which will hopefully be worth telling everyone
about.

Cheers,
Roger