Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:23:35 -0400
Hi Ken,

I don't know that I agree with you. When I look through my glasses at the monitor all the letters look smaller - or further away. When I look without my glasses everything is of course blurry, but larger - hence closer. I can't use a ruler to compare because when I look at it with my glasses on it gets smaller too! When as friends we used to try on glasses of nearsighted kids, the first remark, if not about blurriness was about how small everything looked or that everything looked further away.

Our eyes have the ability to refocus within miliseconds. That is why we can follow a baseball traveling at, in excess of 100 mph (sorry folks, I don't know the conversion off hand) when catching a pitched ball without it ever going out of focus. It would be very hard to do an objective test between our left and right eye as our brain has the ability to convert and adapt to quickly to make things as they are supposed to be. (For example, when was the last time a white object under florescent lights really looked green to your eyes). Of course, that means I can be imagining all this and would then be full of hot air. :-)

Susan, where are you for the last word on this?

Gregg

If MP's tests were true then my eyes would need to refocus
(farther/closer) everytime I looked over the tops of my eyeglass
rims. As I'm typing this, The computer monitor is almost two
feet infront of my schnoz (nose). With my glasses slipped down a
bit I can easily compare with and without glasses.  My eyes are
not refocusing when I go back and forth.  With glasses I can see
the screen better, but my viewing distance still remains the
same.