Re: [OM] Question about the auction site.

Subject: Re: [OM] Question about the auction site.
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:39:19 -0700
on 8/8/01 8:33 AM, Daniel J. Mitchell at DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I mean I fulfil my side of the deal by sending a money order
>> promptly after the auction; which I always send with registered post. I,
>> like eBay believe that people are inherently good.
>
> A separate eBay question -- what's the accepted etiquette for leaving
> feedback? In the last half-dozen or so transactions I've done there, the
> order of events has always been the following:
>
> 1. auction ends.
> 2. I send money to seller
> 3. seller sends me stuff
> 4. I leave +ve feedback for seller
> 5. time passes
> 6. I ask seller if they wouldn't mind leaving me feedback
> 7. about 250f the time, seller bothers leaving me feedback.
>
> This feels rather unjust -- I take the risk of sending off money without
> knowing that they'll send me any stuff back, so it seems that they should
> take the risk of leaving me feedback without knowing that I'll do the same.
> I've taken to mailing people saying "goods arrived, let me know once you've
> left feedback and I'll return the favour", but that seems a bit agressive.
>
> It's not really a big deal one way or another, but it rather peeves me that
> I'm "owed" a whole lot of positive feedback; I always leave it for other
> people because, heck, that's the only way you have of knowing what people
> are like -- so why won't they do the same for me?
>
> -- dan

I usually send an email along the lines of "I wanted to let you know that
the goods arrived in good shape. I'm pleased with them and I'll be leaving a
good feedback for you." I don't explicitly ask them to leave feedback for
me, but I hope that seeing my message will jog their memory into doing so. I
think sellers could leave feedback once they receive confirmed payment (i.e.
check clears, etc.) but many won't do so unless you 'trigger' a reminder to
them. I think I've gotten a feedback for just about every transaction I've
been involved in so far.
--

Jim Brokaw