[OM] Re: Vibration damping

Subject: [OM] Re: Vibration damping
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:55:45 EDT
Dave Dougherty wrote:

<< But, the question is, between an OM-4t and an OM-1, which will result in
the
 least vibration used as follows:  OM-4t - use self timer which flips up the
 mirror at an interval before shutter release, or OM-1 wherein one uses the
 manual mirror retraction and a cable release to trip the shutter. >>

Dear Dave,

It's a bit swings and roundabouts isn't it? Use both!  ;O)

With the OM-1 in mirror lock up, you have zero residual vibration from the
mirror, but might you vibrate the camera just a little bit with the cable
release, if you jerk it a bit? Probably not much! Anyway, you could use the
OM-1 self-timer as well if you wanted to avoid touching the camera for 12
seconds before the picture!

The OM-4Ti self-timer has mirror and aperture pre-fire doesn't it? So that
gets both of those out of the way. That gives 12 seconds for any residual
vibration to die down from those and you don't have to touch the camera.
Maybe the OM-4Ti has a slight edge there, and with the aperture pre-fire.

But with 28 or 35 wide angles, the image isn't as sensitive to vibration as
it would be with a telephoto ... is it? A small angle of movement of the
camera will translate to a very small distance on the negative.

I would guess that both the above cameras have a pretty good vibration
minimisation system - the OM-1 with mirror lock-up is very popular for
astrophotography for instance. Anyway, we're talking about quiet OMs here not
some of their clunky competitors. ;-)

I guess that any difference between these two cameras in the above respects
may be swamped by (a) using a poor tripod, (b) photographing on a windy day
outside, (c) not standing the tripod on a steady surface, (d) vibration from
nearby heavy traffic.

So it might come down to convenience when metering - ie do you want to set
the OM-4Ti up and then have to move it about on the tripod to do spot
metering etc., or do you want to have the OM-1 camera mounted on the tripod
and then use the other one hand-held to do the metering?

Anyway, with film for both cameras, you can have the OM-1 as mechanical
back-up.

<< with the 28/2.8 and/or 35/2. >>

Not got a 35/2.8 Shift or 24/3.5 Shift yet? Nor have I!  ;-(

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/