Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:24:57 -0400
One of the nicest things about living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (actually a part of the peninsula on the east side of the Chesapeake Bay) was the miles and miles of corn, wheat and soy beans (in rotation) you could see growing. I especially liked seeing the combines or tractors working the fields in the late evening and night with their lights blazing. They would custom plow or reap the fields three or even four wide. The roads on the Eastern Shore were all at least two lane with blacktop shoulders. That way didn't have to take the head off the combines to go from field to field, or disassemble the plows.

I read that none of the soy beans or corn grown there leave the area. It is all used by local chicken houses. I guess the Canada geese got their share in the winter too. Sometimes we could look up and see thirty or forty different V formations flying, each at a different altitude and headed in a different direction for breakfast.

Gregg

Joel wrote:

I went to a family reunion today at the ancestral farm where my retired uncle keeps ostriches for fun (and very little profit from selling their fertilized eggs). Yup, the feed includes good old Iowa Gold.

Since it's not too far off the way, we stopped at the nature/prairie preserve Ken posted on a few weeks ago. The best part of the trip was the drive home in magic light. The fields are just gorgeous right now.