Re: [OM] OM2000 in Retrospect vs. OM-2S, etc?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 in Retrospect vs. OM-2S, etc?
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
> I, on the other hand, am amazed how this has changed through
> the years. In the earlier
> years of this list few people seemed to use the OM-2S/-P (and
> even fewer seemed to love
> it!).

Yes, I think I singlehandedly started the counter-attack. (don't
mean to toot my own horn).  Over and over again, the OM-2S was
trashed on this list.  I got VERY ornery and outlined just how
good the camera really is.  I took a very unpopular stand and it
was several days before others came forward and admitted their
secret ownership of the OM-2S.  It was a stigma to even admit
having one--much less liking it.

I've taken tens of thousands of pictures with the OM-2S and it
has been a solid performer.  It wears its brassing with pride.
An occasional CLA has kept it healthy and happy.

People gripe about battery consumption.  Look folks, either you
use it or you lose it.  The camera will drain a set of batteries
in 4-6 months whether you use it or not.  Compare that with ANY
other type of camera (no not a 30 year old pre-electronic camera
like the OM-1 as even the Argus C3 will beat that!).  You think
you can get 100 rolls of film shot on ANY autofocus camera with
a single set of batteries?  Go ahead, make my day.  My battery
replacement rate has pretty much been the same with the OM-1,
OM-2md, the OM-2S and now the OM-4.  But the IS-3 eats VERY
EXPENSIVE batteries like popcorn.  How about your new
fancy-dancy digital wonder-widget?  How many shots per battery
charge?

Program mode is for wimps.  Ya right.  When you desire it, it's
there and works quite well.  I don't use it much, but I do use
it.

Not reliable like the OM-2n.  Maybe, maybe not.  Take away the
battery-drain argument and there is little to no real advantage
to the OM-2n.  I like my sub-mirror metering, thank you very
much!

I'm riled up enough that I'm putting the OM-4 back in the bag
and shooting my next portrait session this week with the OM-2S.

Yes, folks, I'll lead the charge again!  The OM-2S is the
pinnicle of OM design!  The OM-4(Ti) has multispot metering and
a few other doodads, but for shear shooting pleasure and
intuitive operation, NOTHING beats the OM-2 line and the OM-2S
is THE Final Answer!

Ken (AG-Schnoz'd OM-2S) N.