Re: [OM] 35 / 80mm f2.8 Zuiko zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] 35 / 80mm f2.8 Zuiko zoom
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:52:18 -0700
John H. writes:

<< Can anyone comment on the quality of prints up to 16x20" and slides
taken with the 35/80mm f2.8 zoom as compared to their respective quality
[contrast, resolution, colour balance, etc, etc] had they been taken
with prime fixed focal length Zuiko lenses. >>

Egads, I recall how often such questions were often asked here before I
ever tested my first Zuiko.  I thought I had an approach to bring the
questions and subjective responses to rest.  I guess I didn't.

My evaluations were of a 15.5" x 23.5" projected image. You don't get
16" x 20" from a 2:3 aspect ratio image.

Color balance questions have to be answered by shooting the same subject
on the same roll of film, or the same emulsion production run with
multiple rolls processed at the same time. If anyone has a reasonably
large collection of Zuiko optics, they could do this, but you also have
the question of many different coating formulations per lens.  The only
objective measure of color balance would have to be from shoot a grey
card and use a color densitometer to measure color balance.  I haven't
seen anyone stepping to the plate to do such a test.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV