[OM] OM2S with T32 Flash #3

Subject: [OM] OM2S with T32 Flash #3
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:46:05 EDT
More technical and confusing stuff!:

<< Does the aperture that you set on the lens ring have to agree with
the one on the T32?  When you slide the aperture switch on the T32 there
ate detents that can be felt.  Does this switch do anything? >>

It tells the flash what aperture you are setting on the camera if you are
using "Normal Auto". Note this is similar to that found on a "standard" flash
gun, and is not the same as the Olympus "TTL OTF Auto" which you can use on
your OM-2S instead.

Normal Auto Flash:
For this "Normal Auto" flash (I could never quite understand this), you must
have the calculator panel "numbers side up", and you have a choice of 3
apertures. Set the ASA on the panel, and consider the subject distance, and
read off the suitable aperture. You will need to set this aperture on the
camera AND on the flash too so the flash senso will 'know' what you have set.
The flash output is controlled by a small light sensor on the flash (situated
inside the "O" of OLYMPUS!), and the sync speed is set to 1/60. I have no
idea whether you have to have the camera set to AUTO or MANUAL for this. I
never use it! I consider that TTL Auto is more versatile.

Manual Flash:
For Manual flash, you have the calculator panel "numbers side up", you choose
either full power (guide number 32, most situations) or half-power (Guide
number 16, close-ups) and then set the ASA on the panel, estimate subject
distance and read off the aperture needed from the scale. Flash then fires at
full or half power and if you have chosen settings correctly, you get correct
exposure I guess! In AUTO camera mode, I guess the sync speed of 1/60 is
always set, maybe in PROGRAM too, when the flash is ON. In MANUAL camera
mode, I don't know - maybe you have to set 1/60 manually - I would. You might
have the option to set a longer shutter speed instead if you want, like 1/4
second, if you require a special effect, like getting more ambient light into
the picture after sunset for instance.

With the OM-1N, you can use "Normal Auto" or "Manual" flash modes as
described above. Ther is no TTL flash system in the OM-1 or OM-1N. I
personally would just set the shutter to 1/60 on the camera, and then follow
the procedures above for "Normal Auto" which uses the flash's own sensor or
"Manual" where you work it out yourself beforehand.

Happy flashing!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/