Re: [OM] Astrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Astrophotography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:39:06 +0000
At 06:25 8/13/01, OC wrote:

Hmm makes my 180 f2... very interesting...

Absolute aperture:
-> 90mm
... wow.

Amount of light multiplication factor / ratio:
-> 6.36 x
another wow...

Equivalent exposure:
-> 6.36x ~7 = 44.5 seconds

Better than the 50/1.2 even. Nice exercise in calculation actually. I've seen a photograph of Orion's belt with a 180/2.8 and even that was impressive in that a small black area corresponding to the Horsehead nebula was distinctly visible as was the Orion nebula. I'll have to try the 180/2 out.

Even more promising seems the fact that the 180/2 has absolute chromatic aberration correction (it has no infrared mark even), so that star images should be even more pointlike and not affected by a red ring effect.

Thanks for the inspiration John.

Even the 180/2.8 is in the same class as the 50/1.4 wide open. Using a 7 second exposure with it gathers the equivalent light from stars as using 23 seconds with the 50/1.4 standard.

The 350/2.8 would be about the same as your 180/2 (in light gathering). The 250/2 has the most. If I could only afford these three lenses! Actually, for the cost of any of the three, one could buy an 8" catedioptric telescope with all the accessories for astrophotography and probably have some money left over, especially with the 250mm and 350mm.

-- John

-- John