[OM] Motor Drive 1 (and 2) Pros & Cons

Subject: [OM] Motor Drive 1 (and 2) Pros & Cons
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:06:38 EDT
So the MD 1 is lighter than MD2, but how much better (if any) is the
vibration and torque damping of the added mass and counter-rotating motors of
the MD2?  Is it worth the added weight and expense?  I haven't actually
handled or used either (I'm in the "learning/thinking-about" stages on
these), but would think the added weight alone (I know, heresy) of the MD2
would be an additional stabilizing factor.  It sounds as though mirror and
shutter shake are still the major movements to be controlled, regardless of
choice of MD or winder.

I know from shooting rifles/shotguns/pistols/revolvers that greater mass
(heavier barrel, scope, etc.) in addition to stabilization (sand bags, bench
rest, etc.) contributes to both better (steadier) aim and reduced
vibrations/harmonics, resulting in tighter "groups" of holes on the target.

Translated to photography, the physics of heavier mass, steady rest (tripod,
sand bags, fence post, etc.) and resulting reduced vibrations/harmonics
should result in sharper pictures.  For this reason, I seem to be leaning
towards shopping for the heavier MD2.  Wouldn't want to hike/backpack/travel
with it (or MD1 or winder, either, for that matter), but for most other
applications, wouldn't mind a few ounces of added weight.

Thoughts/arguments?  How about durability/failure rates?  Typical
problems/weaknesses?

Rich